To see a lot more photos from my album, click on any photo

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Last weeks based in London



London, UK - With winter winding down and the days getting longer again it was time for my working life in London to wind down and for me to get ready to get back on the road. So in the last few weeks I tried to get out and do as much as I could.

A short day trip outside the M25 motorway took me to Whipsnade Zoo to see the usual animals but there was a 3 week old baby elephant which was funny to watch playing in the mud. There was also a baby rhino but it didn't get up to much while standing next its mother.

Whipsnade Zoo Windsor Castle Windsor Castle

Windsor, UK - A couple of days later it was off to see the queen at Windsor Castle. She seemed to have prior engagements somewhere else so I took the tour around inside and had a look at all the historical art, weapons and suits of armour including Henry VIII's suit which has a massive pot gut. As part of the tour I went into the St David's Chapel and stood amongst a lot of dead Kings and Queens who are entombed there. I also checked out the Knights of the Garter which the late, great Kiwi, Sir Edmund Hillary was a part of.

London 166 Greenwich London 381

One Sunday we headed to Greenwich and I straddled the prime meridian with half of me in the west and the other in the east. We also checked out and scoffed at the local market and investigated the Royal Naval Museum.

Cann, UK - With two of my cousins, Rowan and Julia, also in London we thought it would be a good idea to make a trip to the small village of Cann in South-west England. On the way we popped by Stonehenge and the chalk Kiwi. We got the obligatory photos with road signs in Cann and then headed to a local Shaftesbury pub for a huge Sunday roast. Waddling from the pub we then headed further west to see the chalk man with the 12m penis and his friend Homer Simpson on the side of a hill. To finish the day we headed to Avebury and saw more ancient, massive rocks placed in a circle and had dinner at the local pub there before heading back to London.

The cousins in Cann Stonehenge Giant chalk man

Labels: