To see a lot more photos from my album, click on any photo

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Cricket World Cup 07 in the Caribbean


Georgetown, Guyana - As I was travelling around Brazil I decided to head up to the Cricket World Cup in the Caribbean for a couple of weeks to watch the NZ Blackcaps. I missed my connection in Guyana so I spent the evening with a local guy who showed me around the crazy streets of Georgetown.

Gros Islet, St. Lucia - Next stop was where the Blackcaps were playing their pool matches. I made the second innings of the NZ/Kenya game for the Kiwis second win. At the NZ/Canada game I met up with Brendon Kropp from summer camp and we partied in the stand with the other Kiwi supporters including the Beige Brigade. After a day of beers, rum and sunburn we headed out for the night to carry on the party from the Kiwis 3rd win. While at one of the bars, some of the Kiwi players turned up and had a few beers with us. It was cool having a few beers with Vettori, Fleming, McCullum, Patel and Oram after their successful pool games.

CWC 07 - New Zealand vs Kenya CWC 07 - England vs Kenya CWC 07 - New Zealand vs Canada

Kroppy and his mates Mike and Emur and I went to the England/Kenya game to support the Kenyans but they had no luck from us. We hired a car and then did a couple of trips around the island. On the first day we went for about 5 swims and saw some waterfalls and went to the drive-in volcano. There we had a mud bath in the creek and covered ourselves in mud. After cleaning up we travelled further around the coast passed the Pitons.

Drive-in volcano Gros Islet Marigot Bay

Les Pitons, St Lucia - The next day we decided to climb the largest Piton. The Pitons are two large volcanic towers that rise up from the sea and stand high above the surrounding area of the island. After a couple of hours of had vertical slog in hot tropical weather, we made it to the top and celebrated by drinking a bottle of the national beer, Piton.

Climb up Gros Piton Les Pitons Climb up Gros Piton

St. Johns, Antigua - Next stop was the Super 8 round in Antigua. The Blackcaps took on the West Indies at the new Viv Richards stadium. I met up with the hard-drinking kiwi supporters and cheered the Blackcaps on to a convincing win over the local team. I spent the rest of the time there checking out the town and surrounding area.

CWC 07 - New Zealand vs West Indies CWC 07 - New Zealand vs West Indies CWC 07 - New Zealand vs West Indies

With my money running out quick I headed to London via Puerto Rico and New York where I am now in search of a job.

Labels: , ,